Gascho Motors 1953
self-taught mechanic, Emmanuel Gascho left his fatherís farm
near Baden in 1920 to work at Hambrecht Motors, a Maxwell
dealership in downtown Kitchener.
The dealership was owned by Herb Hambrecht whose claim to
fame was building his own one-cylinder car.
Emmanuel Gascho and Nels Shantz, another mechanic at
Hambrechtís formed a garage partnership in 1923 at 16 Young
Street, across from the Mayfair Hotel and directly behind what
was then the Windsor Hotel.
|The business operated as The Brunswick Garage, and the
building was owned by the Windsor Hotel proprietor.
It had no toilet. Every
time a health inspector pointed this out, the hotel owner would
ply him with drinks and the problem was overlooked.
sold for $700 in 1926, when Kichenerís population was about
28,000. At the
time, there were no traffic lights or parking restrictions.
Durant made cars and trucks in Torontoís Leaside until
1933, when the company of Kenosha Wisconsin in 1934.
Nash Motor Company and Hudson Motor Company later merged
to become American Motors.
Gascho Motors moved to 481 King Street East in 1947. As
time went on, the people at Gaschoís became great friends with
another auto dealership, that being Stevens Motors, at 471 King
Construction of 481 King St. 1946.
Emmanuel Gascho 1953
of Emmanuel Gaschoís other competitors directly across
the street form many years was his old colleague, Nels
Shantz who ran a Studebaker dealership.
too became an excellent neighbour. Back
in the Dirty Thirties, when the car was considered more of a
luxury than a necessity, many local dealers went broke due to
lack of business.
had a strong survival instinct.
He went to farmers and sold cars on 90-day promissory
He also traded a car for meats and groceries.
Emmanuel had to overcome another type of sales resistance
in the late 1920ís and early 1930ís. The farmers
paid when they sold their cattle or pigs.
Banks did not finance cars in the 1930ís.
people had never driven cars.
After making a sale, he would have to teach his customers
how to drive the vehicle he had just sold them. This
section if town earned the name "Gasoline Alley". Most
car dealers in those days dispensed gasoline. Carl
Gascho joined his father as an apprentice in 1943 and Roy Gascho
started as a gasoline pump attendant in 1947.
Emmanuel Gascho and Ken Archer.
|Emmanuel Gascho died in 1966 at the age of 74.
Both brothers became co-owners of Gascho Motors.
The Gaschoís attributed their success to personalized
service, repeat customers, and teachings from their father on
the basics of business, honesty and integrity.
Together they carried on the family business tradition. With the
1970ís, the Jeep product line was added and the company continued to
grow and prosper. The next
years saw tremendous growth and rapid changes.
Cars became more complicated, competition was stiffer, the economy
had ups and downs, and the Gascho family grew.
The next generation of Gaschoís became involved in the business in
the late 1970's.
Ed Payne & Carl Gascho
late 1980ís brought the Chrysler Corporation buy out of AMC, Jeep,
Eagle and of course more growth. This
steady growth and increased business brought about the proposed new
facility of Victoria Street North.
Ed Payne with Barbara & Howard
would make the Stevenís and the Gaschoís neighbours again.
Just as all the planning was completed and construction was to
start, there was more rapid change in the world of automotive and the
global economy in general. Chrysler was planning to drop the Eagle
nameplate and move the Jeep product line up into the full line Chrysler
stores. Since Chrysler had no
guarantees for their stand alone Jeep dealers, Carl and Roy Gascho decided
it was time to retire and of course not build the new facility.
and the Gascho family mutually agreed to terminate their long association
over the coming months. This
left the next generation of Gaschoís with career decisions.
David Gascho saw this as an opportunity rather than a set back and
rose to the occasion.
determination and commitment to his familyís future, David
arranged to buy the facilities at 481 and 505 King Street East
back from the investors who had purchased these properties from
Carl and Roy Gascho months earlier.
Hence, the course into the next millennium was set.
In the year 2006 Gascho Automotive Limited is still located
at 481 King Street East, Kitchener. David
Gascho and his staff carry on the Gascho family tradition of
honesty and integrity setting the foundation to pass this business
to yet another generation of Gaschoís and, if you can think as
far, the next millennium.
Send Your Questions and Comments to
** An official mark of the Province of Ontario used under licence
images contained in this site are
Copyright © 2010 Gascho Automotive Limited. - All Rights Reserved.